Pascha WeekApril 1, 2018
Happy Easter 2018April 8, 2018
Today the Coptic Orthodox Church celebrates the commemoration of Palm Sunday and the entering of our lord Jesus Christ Jerusalem on a Donkey and a Colt fulfilling the below scriptures:
13 Then each man hastened to take his garment and put it under him on the top of the steps; and they blew trumpets, saying, “Jehu is king!” 2 Kings 9:13
9 “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, Lowly and riding on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey. Zechariah 9:9
The day on which Jesus entered Jerusalem on an ass and a colt (baby ass), on the way the multitude spread their garments on the road that He took from beit ania to Jerusalem, and carried branches of olive trees and palm trees hailing him saying “Houssana..” meaning: “Save Us”
They were saying what is to be fulfilled through the suffering, crucifixion, death, and resurrection of Christ the Savior.
“Save Us, O’ King of Israel. Blessed Is He Who Comes, In the Name of The Lord.” “Ossana khen-ei etshosy, epouro ente en-be-israel. Je- vis maraoot enge-eni ethnio, khen-evran en-bi eb-choice ente ni-goam”, He kicked the merchants out of the temple, telling them “This is a house of prayer and you turned it into a den of thief’s” He also prophesied about Jerusalem and the Jewish nation saying:
“Your House will be desolate until you say Blessed Is He Who Came In the Name of the Lord.”
The tone of prayer is “Shaaneen” during Palm Sunday. We also read 12 Gospels as we go around the Sanctuary 4 on each side of the Sanctuary:
1) Main Altar, 2) St. Mary’s Icon, 3) Arch-angel Gabriel Icon,
4) Arch-angel Michael Icon, 5) St. Mark’s Icon, 6) Apostles’ Icon, 7) the Door to the North
8) St. George’s Icon, 9) St. Anthony’s Icon, 10) At The Door to The Wes,
11) At the Door to the South, 12) St. John the Baptist’s Icon.
The selection here is worth noting and contemplating:
1. The main altar symbolic of the body and blood of our Lord,
2. St. Mary, the mother of God in truth, is the highest regarded of all creation,
3. Arch-Angel Gabriel is the messenger who always brings the good news to our race,
4. Arch-Angel Michael is the head of all the heavenly host,
5. St. Mark the Apostle, Evangelist, Martyr, beholder of the divine, and the one who brought the message of the Gospel to our Land,
6. The Apostles, here, are symbolized by an Icon of Peter and Paul, whereas Peter is the Apostle of the circumcised (Jewish Nation) and Paul the Apostle of the Gentiles, the one who worked more than all of the Apostles to bring the message of salvation to the gentiles (you and me and everyone who was not born a Jew,7. The stops at the doors of the Church are to fulfill the prayer that the church might prosper and spread the Good News of Jesus Christ to the four corners of the world,
8. St. George in the Coptic Orthodox Church is considered the prince of all martyrs because of his suffering and strength and he was only but a young man who endured suffering at age 18 and endured for seven years to become a martyr at age 25.
9. St. Anthony is the father of all monks, and is being honored here on behalf of all celebrates males and females who departed the world because of their love for Christ our King,
10. St. John the Baptist is the greatest man who lived according to Christ, the baptist and forerunner who prepared the way of the Lord.